Hello again, Tutors. This inaugural tutor tip for the semester is about talking—how much, how often, who’s doing it. Last week I was working with a new student on an essay for basic writing. At some point, I realized that I was hearing a lone voice—mine. The poor student was only saying two words because that is all I was giving him room to do. This is a reminder to me and to you to pull back if you find the only voice you are hearing is your own. Of course we have to talk to the students; it’s meant to be a shared conversation about writing, after all. But keep an eye (okay, an ear) on how much of that conversation is coming from you and how much from the students. Too many words can feel like an avalanche for some students, especially those who are developmental writers. Give some time to allow students to process the information. Try following up your fewer words with something concrete to back them up—a visual representation of what you are talking about, a “to do” list for the student when the session is about to end. Ask the student to recap what happened during the session and where he or she plans to go from there. The sound of a little silence on our part might be just what the students need to hear.
I worked with students who hardly spoke during a tutor session. To break the silence, I found myself talking too much. Eventually the students began by answering with one-word answers and a conversation began. I now slow my speaking pace to hear what a student has to say. I learn something with every session.
ReplyDeleteToo true! I think sometimes we think the more the better but sometimes just being clear. Like John Wayne says "Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much". Although it might be helpful not to talk too low!
ReplyDeleteAs another Westerner has said, in other words, "you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..."
ReplyDelete